The Web and Human-Computer Interface.
I have not, and likely will not get the time to write down all the things I want to say about Interface Design and how it applies the HTML-based web.
However, as a start here's a list of links to various resources about the subject that I've had floating around on my Mac for some time.
HCI and the Web
Jakob Nielsen (Sun) posts his twice-weekly columns on interface design here; other resources also.
- Bad Human Factors Designs
A scrapbook of illustrated examples of things that are hard to use because they do not follow human factors principles.
A program to help you make web pages accessible; it will also find HTML compatibility problems that prevent pages from displaying correctly on different web browsers. Bobby on the WWW.
- The Computer-Human Interaction WEB-SIG
New ACM special interest group for web focus.
- Designing Universal/Accessible Web Sites
Sponsored by TRACE, University of Wisconsin, this site provides tips, guidelines, model sites, and information about the universal web access symbol.
- HCI Resources on the Net
Mikael Ericsson's compilation, includes theses in progress, jobs, and WWW-related issues.
- Interface Hall of Shame
An irreverent collection of examples of common interface design mistakes.
- The Usable Web
Information about human factors, user interface issues, and usable design specific to the Web.
- Web Accessibility Initiative
W3C is adamant in its opinions on access:
"All the protocols and languages we issue as Recommendations should meet or exceed established accessibility goals. In addition, we will actively encourage the development of Web software and content that is accessible to people with most disabilities."
The authoritative source for accessibility info on the web.
- ADA Accessibility Requirements Apply To Internet Web Pages
- Best Practices: Web Design for Everyone
- Building a Quality Website, Part 1
- Building a Quality Website, Part 2
- Characteristics of a Great Web Site: Usability, 1997 Electronic Recruiting Index
- Could Hellen Keller read your page?
- Does color affect an action?
- Fixing Web Site Usability
- How Users Read on the Web
- Making Web Pages Universally Accessible
- Poor Writing is All Too Common
- Site Usability Evaluation, Web Review, October 1997
- Top 10 Mistakes in Web Design
- Usability and the Future of the Web -- Part One, January 1998, Netscape
- Usability Engineering for the Web
- CHI-Web is an ACM SIG-CHI open discussion list on human factors aspects of the World Wide Web. To subscribe, send mail to LISTSERV@ACM.ORG with the command: SUBSCRIBE CHI-WEB in the body of the message.
- Easy Access to Software and Information (EASI) is an affiliate of the American Association for Higher Education. Provides information and guidance in the area of access to information technologies by individuals with disabilities. Web Site.
- ADA Information on the Web
Compiled by the US Department of Justice.
- Best Viewed with Any Browser
Campaign to create web sites that are viewable and functional in all browsers.
- Beta Research Reports
Check here for available research reports, including one about readingelectronic text.
- Blindness Resource Center
Index of links dealing with access to the internet.
- CHI 97
All proceedings are online.
- HCI Bibliography
Gary Perlman's extensive resource database.
- Human Factors and the Web
Announcement of fourth conference; proceedings from previous conferences.
- Portland SIG-CHI Chapter
Portland chapter of ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction. Purpose is to provide a mechanism for exchanging ideas, and organizing workshops & similar educational activities related to computer-human interaction.
- Puget Sound SIG-CHI Chapter
Local chapter of ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction. Primary focus is on human communication and interaction with computer systems.
- Web Architect Archive
A regular feature in Web Review magazine, "Web Architect" offers a humorous, irreverent, and practical exploration of information architecture topics.
- Web Interface Design: Learning from Our Past
Presentation at the 4th WWW Conference.
- Building Usability into Web Design
Mathworks recreates itself, and incorporates usability into the process.
- Designing Sun's Web Site
- TBS, December 1997
A look at Turner Broadcasting; New York Times requires (free) registration.
- Australia, Protocols for Government Agency Public Access Web Pages
- Yale, classic
- W3C Style Guide for Online Hypertext
- Guide To Web Style
- NCSA Technology Research Group - Review of Web Style Guides
User Interface Engineering Web Research
The report, the first large-scale, public usability research on the Web, generated a lot of press:
- Building a Quality Web Site, Web Techniques, June 1997
- Defining a Strong Web Interface, Web Week, 7 July 1997
- Does Graphic Design Interfere with Usability, Web Review, July 1997
- In Defense of Web Graphics, Web Review, July 1997
- Measuring Web Site Usability, SIG-CHI electronic publication
- Web design myths, University of Tennessee